Tell your reps that Trump is not above the law: He must accept the Supreme Court’s ruling on the census question
When the Supreme Court ruled that the 2020 census must not include a question about citizenship status, most thought the battle was won. It should not surprise anyone that the President feels otherwise; after all, when has he ever admitted defeat or respected the rule of law? Our own U.S. Rep Chip Roy is enabling Trump’s unconstitutional gambit by spelling out ways for Trump to issue an executive order that would reinstate the question of citizenship status. (For an explainer on the whole debacle, go here.)
There are a couple of actions to take. (Hat tip, once again, to Celeste Pewter.)
- Call your reps (even—especially!— if you are in Chip Roy’s district). They should speak up on this issue; no one, not even Trump, is above the law. Any executive order he issues can and should be overturned.
- Spread the word about the census! The whole point of the citizenship question is to discourage participation among immigrants. A lot of that damage has already been done. If you have a flexible schedule, consider becoming a census worker!
How your voices are making a difference
- The DNC is reportedly considering a vote to conduct a presidential-candidate debate focused on climate change (This was one of last week’s actions!)
- A federal judge blocked indefinite detention for asylum seekers
- The House sued for access to President Trump’s tax returns
2020 is Coming
Register voters near you!
Register2Vote is a non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to accelerating voter registration and mobilization. Using this map from Register2Vote.org, you can identify unregistered voters, chip in a little money, and have voter registration forms mailed to them. Once the applications come back, you’ll be able to track progress. Amazing!
- Travis County Map (74,165 unregistered voters)
- TX10 Map (48,393 unregistered voters)
- TX17 Map (39,552 unregistered voters)
- TX21 Map (53,991 unregistered voters)
- TX25 Map (47,237 unregistered voters)
- TX31 Map (55,290 unregistered voters)
- TX35 Map (41,587 unregistered voters)
Friday, July 12
Public hearing on asylum seeking migrant families at the Texas-Mexico border.
The committee on Homeland Security & Public Safety will meet jointly with the committee on International Relations and Economic Development to hear invited testimony on issues related to the increase in asylum-seeking migrant families at the Texas-Mexico border.
2 p.m. at the Texas Capitol, Room E1.030
Sunday, July 14
Mueller Report Read LIVE
The third installment in our series of readings from the Mueller Report, at North Door Austin. Doors open at 5 p.m.
Activist of the Week: Madi Distefano
ICYMI: Madi Distefano got sick of waiting around for somebody to take action to help migrant kids in cages—so she caged herself for 36 hrs at the Texas Capitol. We interviewed her last night at hour 33. @fams2gether @indivisibleATX #TrumpHasKidsInCages #CloseTheCamps pic.twitter.com/OOs9HdxiKv
— YRUMarchingTX? (@YRUMarchingTX) July 5, 2019
Your Moment of Zen
— lucifurious™ ♓️ (@jablan) July 6, 2019