What: Call-In Day to Protect the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
When: Tuesday, May 8
Who: Call your member of Congress at 888-398-8702
Adapted from CPPP‘s SNAP action alert:
About 3.8 million Texans — kids, the elderly, people with disabilities, veterans and workers who don’t earn enough to feed their families — turn to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly “food stamps”) to help buy food every month. It is the nation’s most effective anti-hunger program.
Now, SNAP is at risk because of proposals in the Farm Bill, the legislation that includes this vital program. The Farm Bill would make it harder for millions of working mothers to put food on the table by taking away or cutting their food benefits. In all, the proposal would cut the actual money families receive to buy food by more than $17 billion and instead would spend billions setting up a new system of untested work programs and requirements with punishing penalties.
RSVP on Facebook to join the National Call-in Day and let Congress know you oppose cuts to the SNAP program
Call your member of Congress on May 8 at 888-398-8702
Sample script/talking points:
- Identify yourself as a constituent calling about pending legislation.
- Tell them you want your representative to oppose the current Farm Bill, because it would:
- Cut food assistance for struggling families in your community, and
- Misuse those same funds to expand a bureaucracy that sells the promise of work, but won’t deliver results.
- Give a concrete example from your experience to demonstrate why you care.
- Provide your full mailing address and ask to receive a response from your member of Congress.
- Thank the staff member!
Right click to download and share these images on social media: