Happy (belated) Mother’s Day! ❤️
Every day thousands of mothers languish in jail simply because they cannot afford bail. Make a donation today to the National Bail Out Collective, the force behind the #FreeBlackMamas Mother’s Day bail-outs. Throughout the year, the collective also provides fellowship and employment opportunities for those they bail out. And they work with groups like the Texas Organizing Project to support ongoing bail reform efforts.
Last chance to stop SB 9
SB 9, the voter-suppression bill in the Texas Legislature that would charge voters with felonies for making honest mistakes, has a hearing in the House Elections Committee on Wednesday, May 15 at 8 a.m.
SB 9 seeks to make voting much more difficult, confusing, and scary for voters, all while creating more red-tape and bureaucracy for county election administrators. In 2018, a record number of Texans showed up to the polls to participate in our midterm elections. Instead of encouraging more democratic participation, SB 9 seeks to keep more and more Texans from voting in the future.
Call or email your rep—especially if they are on the Elections Committee:
Chair: Rep. Stephanie Klick (512) 463-0599
Vice Chair: Rep. Philip Cortez (512) 463-0269
Rep. John H. Bucy III (512) 463-0696
Rep. Dustin Burrows (512) 463-0542
Rep. Briscoe Cain (512) 463-0733
Rep. Art Fierro (512) 463-0596
Rep. Celia Israel (512) 463-0821
Rep. Mayes Middleton (512) 463-0502
Rep. Valoree Swanson (512) 463-0572
Contact your state reps about SB 9
Demand that Barr be held in contempt of Congress
(Credit to Celeste Pewter for this action)
A quick recap of the constitutional crisis: House Judiciary voted to hold Attorney General William Barr in contempt. As retaliation for Judiciary’s vote the DOJ urged Trump to assert executive privilege over the Mueller report/related documents—which he did.
Call your rep and insist that they vote Yes when the contempt resolutions comes to a floor vote. You can say:
- Barr should be held in contempt if he fails to meet the deadline set by Chairman Schiff and House Intelligence for turning over an unredacted version of the Mueller Report and related documents to Congress.
- For all WH staff and cabinet members to be held in contempt and subject to measures like inherent contempt if they ignore subpoenas, and
- I also want [elected] to know, I want [electeds] to continue to discuss Barr resigning and/or being impeached. He’s proven repeatedly that his interests are serving Trump, and not the DOJ or the American people. Enough is enough.
How your voices are making a difference
- The House Ways and Means Committee subpoenaed Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin
- The House Judiciary Committee voted to hold the U.S. attorney general in contempt
- The Austin City Council formally backed AOC’s Green New Deal
Wednesday, May 15
SB 9 hearing with Elections Committee at Capitol, room E2.016
See SB9 action above. Show up in person to oppose voter suppression.
Funding the Fight
Indivisible Austin’s fight for democracy includes fighting against the horrendous voter suppression bill, SB 9, sending more than 70 letters. Among many anti-democratic provisions, SB 9 prevents pregnant women from voting absentee, even if they expect to be giving birth on the day of the election.
These are extraordinary times calling for extraordinary action. We’re making a difference together. You can be a part of it. Contact your legislators AND support our efforts to reach others like you by making a gift today!
Your Moment of Zen
Falling off the unicycle pic.twitter.com/DiBFGfKKHX
— Awwwww (@AwwwwCats) May 11, 2019