Tell the do-nothing Senate: Pass the background check bill
The House of Representatives has sent over 100 bills to the Senate only to see them languish because Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is not allowing votes. One such bill is H.R. 8, which passed the House with bipartisan support, and would close the gun-show loophole that allows sales of firearms without a background check.
In the wake of yet another mass shooting, this time in Virginia Beach, passage of this bill would be an incremental step toward common sense gun legislation in this country. But the Senate won’t vote on it. Tell Cruz and Cornyn that this is not acceptable. And while you’re at it, take the pledge to fire John Cornyn—the most useless of all of the do-nothing senators on the Hill.
Write a letter to to Cornyn and Cruz
No one is above the law: It’s time for the House to start impeachment proceedings
With control of the House, Democrats should use their investigatory power to begin investigations into whether Donald Trump has committed crimes that would justify his impeachment. Rep. Rashida Tlaib’s resolution is a good step forward.
Find (or organize!) a local event for MoveOn’s June 15 Day of Action
How your voices are making a difference
- The Texas Secretary of State who tried to fan up outrage and purge the voter rolls of “noncitizens” voting is out of a job.
- Nineteen discriminatory anti-LGBTQ proposed bills were shot down in this session of the Texas lege
- A growing number of House Democrats—and even one Republican—are ready to begin impeachment proceedings
TXLEGE SINE DIE
We did it, y’all. You did it.
SB 9: Blocked. David Whitley’s confirmation: Also blocked.
“Because progressives showed up to vote in 2018, we changed the Texas legislature for the better and we’re just getting started”
If we bring that same energy to the next election cycle, a progressive Texas is ours. Thank you for continuing to show up.
Read: Top Best (& Worst) Moments of the 2019 Texas Legislative Session
Make a gift to Indivisible Austin
2020 is coming
With the TXLEGE session over, it’s time to reflect and recharge…and then refocus on 2020.
- We still have five U.S. House seats to flip in Central Texas. The incumbents are already spending vast sums of money to defend those seats. It’s never too soon to donate to the candidates you support.
- Sen. John Cornyn is already coming out swinging. He must be stopped. We must flip the Senate, or Mitch McConnell will continue to obstruct Democracy.
- In 2018 we flipped nine Texas House and two Senate seats. We’re on our way to a progressive Texas, but only if we put in the work.
We have 38 weeks until the first votes are cast in the 2020 primary. Let’s make sure we’re doing everything we can to make those weeks count.
Become a Texas Volunteer Deputy Registrar
June 26: Get trained on a new tool to register your neighbors to vote
- Where to celebrate Pride Month 2019 in Austin (Austin360)
- Become a Volunteer Deputy Registrar this summer (Travis County Tax Office)
Your Moment of Zen
my dad just sent me this video of baby raccoons in our front yard and the world needs to see it pic.twitter.com/AKMHSGwOSr
— thot topic (@slimebiitch) May 29, 2019