Tuesday! Indivisible Austin General Body Meeting! Sign Up!
Tell Cruz and Cornyn: No new wall money. Keep the government open.
If Republicans try to back Trump’s demands for wall funding, we will be right back where we started, with another government shutdown on February 16. Tell them to keep the government open and support a conference agreement with no new funding for the wall.
Where we are now:
- We have a “clean” short-term funding bill that funds the government until Feb. 15. It contains no additional money for Trump’s wall or for immigration enforcement.
- An agreement to go to conference committee, where conferees from both chambers will negotiate a year-long agreement for funding the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
- If the conference committee is unable to come to an agreement (i.e., if Trump sabotages the negotiations), then Trump has threatened he will either take us all into another shutdown, or declare a national emergency to pay for his wall.
Monday, Feb. 11 is critical. The absolute latest the full text of any proposal can be released publicly is Monday (in order to comply with the House 72-hour rule). So make those calls on Monday!
Prepare now for Trump to declare a fake state of emergency
How your voices are making a difference
- NM governor Michelle Lujan Grisham pulled the majority of National Guard forces from the border
- The House Intelligence Committee voted to send Robert Mueller more than 50 transcripts from witness testimony that might be pertinent to the Russia investigation
- House Dems on the Ways and Means Committee are pushing for the release of Donald’s tax returns.
Read how the world was filled with awe…
Don’t forget our #txlege-focused general body meeting!
Feb. 13 is Texas Advocacy Day for Moms Demand Action
Voter Suppression Roundup
- Commentary: The GOP doesn’t really care about democracy — only power (by Jolt Texas’s Cristina Tzintzún Ramirez)
- TCRP Responds to Secretary of State David Whitley’s Confirmation Hearing (Texas Civil Rights Project)
- Where the hunt for voter fraud is worse than the crime itself (Washington Post)
Important Hearings for Week of Feb. 11
- House Appropriations Article II (Health and Human Services) on Feb. 11, 8 a.m.
- Senate Finance on SB 1 (Education, including special education) on Feb. 11, 10 a.m.
- House Appropriation Article II (Early Childhood Intervention) on Feb. 14, 8 a.m.
Read more about these hearings and your opportunity to testify >>
Tuesday, Feb. 12
Indivisible Austin General Body Meeting
6-8 p.m., University Hills library branch, 4721 Loyola Ln, Austin, TX 78723
Did you learn a lot at our Indivisible #TXLege Training in December but still aren’t sure what you can do to get our legislators to listen to us and pass or block bills? Or maybe you just want to learn more about Indivisible Austin and our state legislature.
Wednesday, Feb. 13
Moms Demand Action: Texas Advocacy Day
9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Push for common sense gun legislation in our state. Meet at Central Christian Church at 1110 Guadalupe St. prior to heading to the Capitol.
Saturday, Feb. 17
TX10 Constituent Town Hall
5:30 p.m. at Congregation Beth Israel, 3901 Shoal Creek Blvd. TX10 Indivisible has requested the presence of Rep. Michael McCaul to join us for a town hall (as well as Mike Siegel) during the February congressional break and we’d like YOU and YOUR FELLOW TX10 FRIENDS to join us!
To help the TX10 team plan for this event, please RSVP ASAP
Your Moment of Zen
What the fluff?! 😂😂 pic.twitter.com/bE3enZb9WA
— Nature is Amazing ☘️ (@AMAZlNGNATURE) February 9, 2019
Funding the Fight
There’s more to Indivisible Austin than fighting what’s happening in DC. We all know that’s important, but you’ve probably noticed that we have work to do here in Texas, much of it in the Capitol, right here in Austin.
That’s why our General Body Meeting on Tuesday will focus on how you can make a difference at the legislature. In addition to attending, we need your help to provide all that’s needed for the meeting and all our other activities: training materials, food, spaces to meet and more.
Indivisible Austin is here for the work: health care, civil rights, voting rights, protecting democracy locally and nationally. Be there with us. Make a gift.