Today is the first day of a shiny new year. 2016, with all of its bad news, is over. Good riddance to bad rubbish!
I hope you all have had some time this holiday season to renew and recharge yourselves, because 2017 is going to be a busy time!
Are you ready to resist? If so, read on!
- It’s time for a practical, action-oriented mindset. Ever since the election, I’ve been watching everyone go through their stages of grief. In order to be effective you have to live in the real world and not be stuck in some early stage of grief:
- Denial – “I can’t believe Trump won the election!”
- Anger – “What the hell is wrong with everyone – why did voters do this???”
- Bargaining – “Okay, maybe if we can convince the Electors to change their votes…”
- Depression – “This is really happening, isn’t it? Okay I’ll drink myself into a stupor / hide under the blankets / ignore the world…”
- Acceptance – “This is happening, and although I don’t like it, I have to face the reality of a Trump presidency.”
- So if you’ve read this far and you’re not at acceptance, please stop what you’re doing and figure out how to get to the place in your head where Trump is sworn in on January 20, 2017. If you still think there’s some wiggle room, some way to avoid that harsh, awful reality, then you’re not going to be effective to our (or any other) group that is resisting Trump.
- Okay, so now you’ve got the right mindset. What’s next? PLANNING. Let’s get our personal and collective acts together.
- First of all, let’s talk about you. You won’t be able to resist Trump if you’re not taking care of yourself.
- Are you financially secure? Have a good job, have some money set aside, that kind of thing. Don’t let all the stress of our new political situation destroy your livelihood or finances.
- Are you physically and mentally in a good place? Take some of the advice I put together here. Start working out, take up a hobby, whatever.
- How are your relationships? Time to reconnect with loved ones, friends, and close colleagues. If all this political turmoil is causing lots of stress for you and the people you care about, then Trump wins. That’s what he wants – he wants to break us all. Don’t let him.
- Now let’s talk about what we need from you at Indivisible Austin.
- We need people who will commit to a series of daily and weekly tasks, that over the long haul, will help turn the tide. This means calling your Congressperson, showing up at Town Halls, writing blog posts and letters to the editor, and showing up for protests and counter-protests.
- We need people who will do all these things with conviction and passion.
- We need people to understand that there is nothing more important to the future of our Republic than stopping Trump every way we can.
- Finally, we need people who understand that the most effective way to contribute to this national effort is locally – to do what they can where they are right now!
- What comes after PLANNING? EXECUTION. Let’s get to work. You’ve taken the first step by coming here – you’re ready to turn all your complaints into real action. Head on over to our Take Action Now! page and get started.
- What comes after EXECUTION? IMPROVEMENT and ADAPTATION. If a script you’re using for calling a Congressperson isn’t working out so well – IMPROVE it, and not just for yourself. Tell others what you did! If calling isn’t working out so well, show up at their offices (ADAPT!).
- What else can you do? ENLIST HELP. Get as many friends, family, and colleagues involved in the effort. Let’s grow this Austin movement such that all the other Indivisible groups around the country are inspired to do what we’ve done.
The meeting today was quite helpful…thanks to all for the behind the scenes work on this endeavor!!
Thanks for being there!
Leave a comment