Defeat the Trump Tax Scam
Before you lapse into a Thanksgiving food coma this week, here are a few ways to fight tax breaks for billionaires on the backs of the middle class.
- Get the facts: This plan isn’t “tax reform.” It’s tax cuts for the wealthy at the expense of our communities. 1,036,000 people in Texas would lose health insurance coverage. 1,203,900 Texas families would see a tax increase.
- Take this quiz to see if you get a tax break from the Trump Tax Scam
- Call Cruz and Cornyn. The Indivisible Project set up a toll-free number to make it even easier for you and members of your group to share the number and make a call to stop the scam: 1-855-980-2350. Your voice will be the difference in this fight.
- Email Cruz and Cornyn’s tax policy staffers:
- Join the the national #GradTaxWalkout on Monday, November 27th.
- Watch this space for information about additional 11/27 actions in Austin. Check for events outside of the Austin area here.
Holiday Homework: Learn About Austin’s Police Union Contract and the Meet and Confer Negotiations with City Council
Next month, “Meet and Confer” negotiations resume. Just Liberty and the Austin Justice Coalition have developed new resources to educate the public.
- Austin Justice Coalition’s Complete Guide and Facts on Austin’s Police Association Contract
- Just Liberty’s video series on police unions (parts two and three are specific to Austin):
- On November 28th, join Austin Justice Coalition, Undoing White Supremacy Austin, and Grassroots Leadership at a community forum on Austin’s Police Contract. (7 p.m. at Crestview United Methodist Church, 1300 Morrow St.)
- On December 4th and 5th, prepare to speak up before the Public Safety Commission
- December 7th is the big event: Make plans to show up and urge the Austin City Council to Vote NO on the police union contract
Thank John Cornyn for Introducing Bipartisan Legislation to Improve Background Check System and Encourage Ted Cruz to Add His Name
Last week, Senator Cornyn and Chris Murphy (D-CT) introduced bipartisan legislation to improve the criminal background check system. Senator Cruz has thus far not added his name to the bill. Here are scripts for calling both Texas senators.
Script for Senator John Cornyn
Thank you for working across the aisle on commonsense gun legislation. A majority of mass shooters in this country have histories of domestic violence, and we’re glad that Sen. Cornyn is working in a bipartisan way to address gaps in the background check system that allow people with dangerous histories to obtain firearms. We hope this signals a willingness to take additional steps to confront the epidemic of gun violence in our country.
Script for Senator Ted Cruz
Your colleague, John Cornyn, has cosponsored a bipartisan bill to address gaps in the background check system that allow people with dangerous histories to obtain firearms. I encourage Sen. Cruz to join his colleague and add his name to this bill. Almost 10 percent of Sutherland Springs’ population was wounded or murdered by gunfire. If that is not enough to get Senator Cruz’s attention on gun violence, then what is?
Thank you for your persistence in the resistance.
Indivisible Austin began as a lowly Twitter account almost one year ago. Today we are a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization harnessing the collective power of multiple Indivisible groups in Central Texas. If you are not already involved with one of these groups, please check them out.
- TXLEGE Indivisible
- TX-10 Indivisible
- TX-17 Indivisible
- TX-21 Indivisible
- TX-25 Indivisible
- TX-31 Wilco Indivisible
- TX-35 Indivisible
- Indivisible Cedar Park
- Indivisible South Austin
- Indivisible Rosedale Huddle
And most of all, thank you for your voices, your activism, and for showing up. Together we will win.