- Keep Calling: CHIP is Still not Funded
- Keep Calling: For a clean DREAM Act
- Read: How your voices made a difference last week
Calls to Make This Week
Texans Have a Moral Obligation to Help Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands
The outpouring of support for Texans affected by Hurricane Harvey demonstrates how functional institutions can help people in dire situations. Sen. John Cornyn is even holding up a cabinet nominee to demand additional Harvey aid. Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands have no such representation in Congress.
To put things into perspective, Puerto Rico has 300 people working to restore power. Texas had 5,300, for an area one-tenth the size. And the U.S. Virgin Islands is still 100% without power.
As Texans, we have a moral obligation to show our fellow Americans the same generosity and support that we have received.
Oppose the Trump Tax Scam
Last week, Senate Republicans approved a budget resolution that called for cutting $1 trillion from Medicaid and $470 billion from Medicare over 10 years. The budget would also add $1.5 trillion to the deficit. This week, the resolution moves to the House, which passed its own, similar resolution on October 5. All of this is a lead-up to a scheme to cut taxes for corporations and the ultra-wealthy.
Stop Trump from Taking Us to War
- By decertifying the Iran deal, Trump signaled that he wants war with Iran. If Congress votes to reimpose sanctions, war is likely. Call Cruz, Cornyn and your House Representative and tell them not to reimpose sanctions. Get scripts and more info from the Indivisible Project.
- Trump’s ongoing threats to North Korea are terrifying and must not be ignored. Congress can stop Trump from issuing a nuclear first strike. This should be a bipartisan issue, as no president, Democrat or Republican, should wield the power to launch a nuclear attack without Congressional approval. Get scripts and more information from our website.
Support the Bipartisan Alexandar-Murray Bill to Stabilize the ACA
Tell your MoC to support this bipartisan effort. Tell them that the only acceptable changes to Alexander-Murray are those that would go further to protect people’s care.
Support the Bipartisan Honest Ads Act of 2017
This legislation, introduced by introduced by Sens. Klobuchar (D-Minn), McCain (R-AZ), and Warner (D-VA), seeks to address a loophole that allowed Russian entities to purchase political ads on major social media platforms ahead of the 2016 election without detection.
Monday, Oct. 23
- 7 p.m. America Ferrara’s “Out of Reach” at Alamo Drafthouse – Mueller FREE screening co-hosted by Workers Defense Project, Indivisible Austin, RAICES, and Working Films. Out of Reach follows actress America Ferrera as she travels to Texas in the final months of the Obama administration to find out how immigration policies affect the 1.65 million undocumented people currently living in the state. Screening will be followed by discussion with local leaders on strategies to resist SB4.
Wednesday, October 25
- 4:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. No walls No deportations — ATX Demands a #CleanDreamAct. Join ATX Environmental Justice, United We Dream, and the Texas Sierra Club to demand that Senator John Cornyn speak up and support passage of a clean #DreamActNow — that means without terrorizing our communities and neighbors by funding the further militarization of our borders, no mass deportations, and no funding for a wall.
Thursday, October 26
- 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Indivisible Austin Women’s Coffee Meetup, NeWorlDeli, 4101 Guadalupe St.
Nov. 2 ATX Dem Vets Candidate Forum
Nov. 3-5 ATX Political Hackathon
Nov. 4 Voto Latino Power Summit
Nov. 7 Election Day